Katalin Novák, the minister without portfolio in charge of family affairs, informed the mayor of the city about the decision.
Debrecen also won the title of Family-Friendly Local Government title in 2018, and was also awarded the title “Debrecen Caring City”.
The aim of the award is to strengthen the local government policy at the local level and to recognize the responsibility of local governments to act for the elderly. The Municipality of Debrecen presented the situation of the elderly population of Debrecen and the local tasks considered the most important by the municipality in order that the elderly can live a dignified old age. The local government has implemented additional tasks that are not required by law:
- operation of a voluntary assistance program
- operation of the Debrecen Elderly Council
- providing free use of the spa for residents of Debrecen over the age of 65
- support for residents aged 101 and over
- discounted venue for events for the elderly
- involving contemporary volunteers in programs to improve the quality of life of the elderly
- the Elderly Infocommunication Model Program
- programs for dementia seniors and their relatives
- the city’s elderly strategy for 2020-2025
- the employment of a senior officer in the municipality
The local government, together with the Debrecen Charitable Body, helps all elderly people in need.
Photo credit: Image by Sabine van Erp from Pixabay