For the first time, a full wine selection, from sparkling wine to classic and premium wines to dessert wine, was awarded. This new concept not only marks the growing prestige of the City of Debrecen’s Wine brand but also promotes the consumption of wines so that everyone – including the wine-loving public, restaurants and foreign delegations – will find a wine to please.
The “Wines of Debrecen” competition was attended by the Debrecen Bormustra TOP20 wineries, many of which hold the title “Wine Producer of the Year” or “Winery of the Year”.
The “Wines of Debrecen” title was awarded to
- Classic white wine: Mátra Rhine Rizling 2018, Szőke Mátyás és Zoltán Pincészet
- Classic red wine: Szekszárd Cabernet Franc classic 2017, Mészáros Borház
- Classic rosé wine: Szekszárd Pinot noir Rosé 2019, Takler Borbirtok
- Premium white wine: Mátrai Paskomi Chardonnay 2018, Szőke Mátyás és Zoltán Pincészet
- Premium red wine: Villányi Franc 2017, Koch Borház, VinArt Pincészet
- Dessert wine: Intuition No1 Zéta édes szamorodni 2008, Holdvölgy Pincészet
- Champagne: Tokaji Furmint Pezsgő Extra Brut 2016, Gróf Dégenfeld Szőlőbirtok
The winning wines were selected by an eighteen member panel who tasted 82 wines from 8 wine regions and the wine packaging was selected by the project manager of VisitDebrecen based on an international tender. The packaging design selected was by a Danish designer and is intended to reflect the high quality of the Hungarian wines.
Dr. Attila Fiáth, international wine academic, chairman of the jury stated that Debrecen does a lot for Hungarian wine culture and one of the most significant events is the “Wines of Debrecen” competition.
Debrecen intends that the wines labeled as the “Wines of Debrecen” show the unique values of the Hungarian region and give all those who try them, a real wine experience.
The winning wines can be tasted on a “Wines of Debrecen” Walking Wine Tasting (part of the Debrecen Spring Festival) on March 27, 2020; the Debrecziner Gourmet Festival (13-15 June 2020), the Wine and Jazz Days (August 6-9, 2020) as well as at Wine Dinners of the local restaurants.
You can buy the wines in the VisitDebrecen Tourist Information Center all year round.